 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2533
Re: Next test version avail. 0.2.6.05 - have time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 14:10:46 GMT

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Samuel Winchenbach wrote:

Also, I have been experimenting with other firmware replacements and looked
at leJOS.  I noticed a number of different features.... first of all it
gigantic, it takes up half of the available RAM.  But it has a number of
nice features that I dont think are included with legOS.  Most importantly
is the math routines....   will legOS ever have trig functions that are
o-so-important for navigation?  I am just trying to compare and figure out
what is the right solution for me.

I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Of course, they can always be a
compiler switch to turn them off if you don't want them. The thing is,
though, that there are lots of tradeoffs between speed, memory use, and
accuracy in this kind of function, and exactly which tradeoffs are best
are highly dependent on what you're doing. And of course, there's the
whole fixed-point vs floating-point issue. :)

Perhaps better than trig in the OS would be an online library of useful,
legOS-compatible math functions from which you could choose ones that fit
what you need. I have some good (IMO) fixed-point trig and vector-rotation
routines I could contribute.

Or mabye it's a terrible idea, but there you go.

--
"From now on, we live in a world where man has walked on the moon.
And it's not a miracle, we just decided to go." -- Jim Lovell

Mike Ash - <http://www.mikeash.com/>, <mailto:mail@mikeash.com>