 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2511
Re: Lego IR Remote - What is max send rate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:31:32 GMT

Stephen -

I've recently taken a couple of patch postings to legos.sourceforge.net by
Ross Crawford and Zhengrong Zang and have come up with a hybrd solution (on
0.2.6) to implement the remote control. I am quite happy with the results.

The original LNP handler by Zhengrong Zang kept a summary of buttons being
held and cleared them on release. A "user" task could then poll this state
summary and act on any keys down easy enough. The problem with this approach
is you couldn't:

1. Handle multiple motor controls simultaneously

2. Have a reliable way to detect a single button release and still listen
for new key presses.

The other posting (by Ross Crawford) extended LNP to deliever events to a
"user" task whenever a key state changed and then fed it KEYDOWN and KEYUP
events. Using this technique, it was rather simple to implement a remote
control watcher that behaves as does the stock firmware.

I have had this hybrid running for about a week now and as I said, the
remote works rather well. I have not yet added the extended RCX message
handling to the implementation. I am unsure whether to make it a
polled-last-message-received model as implemented in the default firmware or
some sort of event model as Ross did for remote control keys.

As I am unsure how to submit these changes (haven't figured out how to
generate .diff files either), I have not posted any of this work. If your
are interested, I can do something with it.

/ted

ps - I also cleaned up the program number display to be correct always and
fixed the running icon to be more patient when nothing is running. It
fidgets when nothing is really running.

pps - LegOS is way cool. I've been waiting quite some time for it to reach
this level of stability before I was willing to bite off cygwin &c. I am a
complete U*X novice.

--

"Stephen M Moraco" <stephen_moraco@agilent.com> wrote in message
I'm working on the motor key handler for legOS support
of the IR remote.  I'm looking at service rates of
keypresses at the remote.

In studying how The Mindstorms OS responds to the remote
I noticed that holding the key down (for motor keys)
kept the motor running smoothly.

I know that if we miss key presses due to our service rates
our movement will not be smooth.

Anybody happen to know the max rate of key-press transmission?
Or have measured this?  Anybody have a setup with which they
can measure this?  Or does anybody know of technical information
on web that might be of help?

Thanks in advance for help.

Regards,
Stephen    member of legOS team