 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 249
Re: www.legOS.net, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:58:28 GMT

Markus L. Noga wrote:

Hello,

sorry for being out of touch.

I just stumbled across a service called www.registernic.net. Apparently,
they are handing out .com, .org and .net domains and 6MB of webspace
free for two years. They register in your name, and they don't even ask
for credit card data.

??? Are you sure: I just looked, and they appear to redirect to some
other site (http://www.virtualave.net/) who give you 20 MB and register
you at InterNIC - but here's the catch: InterNIC will bill you!

There's also a 1.2 MB file size limit (which may or may not be a
problem).

Checking a couple of likely addresses, I found www.legOS.net to be
unallocated and applied for it. If all goes on schedule, this should be
granted within a week or two.

I know InterNIC are totally slack about this, but it really isn't
appropriate to use a .net address for your webpages.

I hope this will put an end to all download corruption problems. Moving
is also an incentive for revamping. On the new site, there'll probably
be an "Add a link" section, as well as a guestbook page for commments,
patches and suchlike.

If we keep large archives off-site, e.g., the egcs binaries for various
platforms, there should also be plenty of room for projects like
emulegOS and OnScreen Programming on the site.

Ideas?

I'm sure there are people who will host you without the advertising
(I've already offered ages ago).

Cheers,

Ben.

--