 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2369
Re: motors are stuck...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:36:08 GMT

According to a book by Ferrari brothers ("Building
Robots With Lego Mindstorms") here's what you can try:

---

How to release a Jammed Micromotor

A micromotor jams so easily, you should know what to do
when it occurs.  The following list should help:

1. Switch off the motor as soon as you can.  Detach the cord or
switch the power off; it's important not to leave a stalled motor
under power for a long time because that could permamnently
damage it.
2. Decouple the motor from any connection (gearings, pulleys, and
so on).  Leave the small pulley attached to the motor shaft.
3. Holding the motor with your fingers, turn the pulley gently
but firmly in the same direction the motor was turning when it
jammed.  At the same time, push the pulley against the motor until
you hear a click.  Your motor should be OK now.  If you don't know
what direction the motor was rotating when jammed, try
both directions.

The procedure usually works.  If it doesn't, try to power on the
motor in both directions with very brief current pulses, at the same
time doing what described in Step 3.

---

I hope this helps.  In general, I highly recommend this book,
it is an extremely helpful guide to the MindStorms system.

Enjoy,
-M-