 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2045
Re: Instructions for LegOS USB support
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:41:45 GMT

Sigh. Doesn't look like there is any chance that this would work for *nix,
except maybe with severe Wine hackery. Has anyone else (with any of the other
alternative OSs) tackled the problem of the new towers? I suppose I can try
plying one of my kernel-hacking co-workers with good beer, but they all have
about as much time as I do. :/
Luis

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Mark Falco writes:
A friend of mine recently bought the 2.0 RCX and sent me the following
information regarding getting USB and LegOS to play nice.  He did this on a
Win2K system.  I have the old 1.0 RCX so please don't ask me how to make
this work.  Here is his e-mail and links to download stuff.

mark

I found the following web site:

  http://www.mi-ra-i.com/JinSato/MindStorms/legOS/usb_ir_with_legOS.html

(which is in Japanese, so use the fish http://world.altavista.com/ to
translate),
which provides updates to the firmdl3.exe and dll.exe.
Now, when I downloaded the two packages I could unpack them until I
found a program to unpack *.lzh files.  There is a program called:

  lha.exe

which I got out of a package lha213.exe, just do a web search on lha213.exe:

The dll.exe package contained comments in the loader.c file which discussed
what changes needed to be performed in the files:

  lnp-logical.h
  lnp-logical.c

These comments were also mentioned on the web site, but even using the
Babel Fish web site to translate, it was not clear until I used the loader.c
file comments to make the changes.

Footnote: When I extracted the files out of the *.lzh files they were all
              uppercase.  I needed to convert them to lowercase to get them
              to compile on my system.