 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2009
Re: tweaking around dlcd_show( )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 02:37:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Martin Scragg writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Alexandre Bec writes:
I tried to use the "real" value  0xef46,0x4 instead of the define  LCD_4_BOTL
dlcd_show(0xef46,0x4); and I got obviously the same error.

This should work, unless the preprocesor has done something funny to it, or
is expected to do something funny to it.

Nope - bit_set(0xef46,0x4) will work, but not dlcd_show(0xef46,0x4), as it
needs only 1 parameter.
Since writing this, I have set up a LegOs build environment, so had a play
with it.  It doesn't seem very useful the way it is written.  See my bit
about it below.

When trying at least to use directly the bit_set function with
bit_set (0xef46,0x4); it works,
but if I put these items in an array and invoking bit_set with
bit_set(progressPattern[ i ][0], progressPattern[ i ][1] );
I obtain a
"inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'  " because my array certainly
does not contain the right type of data  for such a low-level operation. (how
can we fit a single bit in an array ?)
You would need to define the elements as a structure, and then have an array
of that structure.

Choosing the types of the struct elements is the problem - these are passed to
the h8's bset instruction. First, I tried void* & char, but the compiler didn't
like it. Then I tried everything else, and nothing worked. When I get a chance
I'll try & find a h8 guru & see if we can work it out. It may be the assembler
directives (after the ":") but I don't know enough about those.

I had a bit of a go doing this as well, and since I didn't know what the asm
statement was wanting as paramters, had a hard job convincing it to work.

In reality, I would rewrite the macros, as they seem a little "dodgy" to me.
I think that 'dlcd_show' should take the 2 parameters, that way you can use
it with variables.  The way it is now, it can only really be used with the
defines.  Also when I normally write macros, I enclose the parameters passed
in parentheses. e.g.

do_stuff(a, b) ((a) + (b))

This way you don't end up with problems in the macro if you pass it values
like this:

do_stuff(5, 7 + 9)

Without the parenteses, this would totaly break the above macro.

Martin