 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2006
Re: tweaking around dlcd_show( )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 01:26:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Alexandre Bec writes:
Thanks Martin,
I tried this too but it doesn't work :

progress.c:27: macro `dlcd_show' used with too many (2) args
progress.c:27: macro `BIT_OF' used with just one arg
progress.c:27: macro `BYTE_OF' used with just one arg

The hint seems to fit two arguments in one. But I don't know how to format
these in order for them to be accepted by dlcd_show AND by the two macros

Ooops!  I obviously wasn't looking at it properly last night (only browsing
through the zip file).  As 'dlcd_show' is defined as a macro that takes one
parameter, but uses it twice to each of BIT_OF and BYTE_OF, which in turn
both take 2 parameters, which is what the define for the segments do, so you
can't use it the way you are trying.  Does any of that make sense?

I tried to use the "real" value  0xef46,0x4 instead of the define  LCD_4_BOTL
dlcd_show(0xef46,0x4); and I got obviously the same error.

This should work, unless the preprocesor has done something funny to it, or
is expected to do something funny to it.

When trying at least to use directly the bit_set function with
bit_set (0xef46,0x4); it works,
but if I put these items in an array and invoking bit_set with
bit_set(progressPattern[ i ][0], progressPattern[ i ][1] );
I obtain a
"inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'  " because my array certainly
does not contain the right type of data  for such a low-level operation. (how
can we fit a single bit in an array ?)
You would need to define the elements as a structure, and then have an array
of that structure.

I'll probably use an other approach, based on arrays of pointers on simple
functions like :
int progress1{
  dlcd_show(LCD_4_BOTL);
  return 0;
}
Be careful, once you go down the dark side... oh sorry wrong advice :-)  Be
careful with arrays of function pointers, they are fine for small
applications like this, but I have worked on a project that used hundreds of
them, and it was almost impossible to figure out what was going on at some
points.

Any help will be welcome
I would probably lean towards an array of structures, and then use bit_set
directly.

Like I said before I don't have a LegOs environment, so I can't test any of
this.  It would be interesting to see what the preprocessor is doing to the
macros.  I will have to build a LegOs environment one of these days.

Martin