 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1870
Re: API changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 12:37:12 GMT

My only concern with these proposed changes is possible increased memory
usage.

Encapsulation, error reporting, thread synchronisation etc are nice; but
with just 32k of RAM I would question whether these are appropriate for
some applications. For my final year Computer Science project (a maze
naviagting robot) I had to disable dynamic linking + some LegOS features
to get it to fit into RAM.

Of course, if conditional compilation can be used to disable these
features (as can be done with mem management, etc) at present, then this
is less of a problem.

I do wonder though if there is a danger here that LegOS will become
bloated as people add 'hey, what a neat idea' kind of features - e.g.
filesystem, clock, etc. Just a thought, anyway.

However, reliable networking support would definitely be a plus - I had
to design my own transport + presentation layers for my project. I was
intending to tidy them up + release them, but if something similar is
planned for LegOS, I may not bother.

Kieran