 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1869
Re: API changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 22:38:55 GMT

mahrens@cs.brown.edu (Matthew Ahrens) writes:

* Calling threads "threads" rather than "processes", and starting them
   via pthread_create() or some such, rather than execi().

* Thread synchronization in the style of pthreads. (eg. mutexes,
   condition variables, etc)

* Having the motor and sensor access functions take a parameter
   specifying which motor/sensor to access, rather than having the
   selection be in the function name. (ie. motor_speed_set(MOTOR_A, 100)
   rather than motor_a_speed(100)).

* Functions (or perhaps function-type macros) instead of volatile
   global variables. eg. time() rather than sys_time.

* Networking API which works similarly to sockets, with read() and
   write() calls, rather than a callback for recieving data.

These seems to me good ideas.  Adding errno would also be useful.

bye
Bernardo
New e-mail: dibbe@freestation.it