 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1736
1735  |  1737
Subject:
Simple RCX-PC communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:11:12 GMT

Hi!
I'm working on a final year CS project which involves getting a lego
robot to explore and map its maze-like environment, locate start and
finish markers, then run between them. This is working pretty well, but
I'd like to be able to download the map onto my PC.
Basically, I'm looking for a multi-platform (legOS on Linux and on
Cygwin) method of transferring data to and from the RCX.
It does *not* need to be multi-client, scalable, reliable, addressable
or even threaded; as long as I can issue send and receive commands from
both PC and RCX.
I've been looking at LNP; however, I can find no way of getting it
working under Cygwin on Windows2000 - probably because one of the
includes is "linux/serial.h". However, the dll program works on either
platform, so in theory source-code compatibility should be possible. LNP
is possibly also overkill for what I want to do, though if anyone knows
a way of getting it to work, I'd be very grateful.
Since I can't seem to use LNP (at least not under Windows), I've been
trying to write my own solution. However, I cannot figure out what on
earth much of the lnp code does - all I want to do is write data to and
from the IR port, but I can't see how to do this.
I'd appreciate any ideas, or useful references people can point me at.

Thanks,
Kieran Elby