 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1647
Re: LegOS 0.2.5 and LNP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:58:25 GMT

It's not for performance, but for correctness.  The old code • was like this:

    if(lnp_addressing_handler[port]) {
lnp_addressing_handler[port](data,length-2,src);

You first test lnp_integrity_handler and then, before using it, • you reload
it from memory.  If the value has changed (and it could on a • PC, as you are
not in an interrupt handler) you have problems.  The right • thing is to read
once and use twice.  Probably if there are no function calls in • place of
"..." (but in 0.2.5 there may be one) the compiler will • optimize it and
read only once, but it's better to force the compiler to do • what you want
with actual code.  For the same reason I added the volatile
attribute.

Yes, but I'm not sure what could happen if I change those
addresses in the middle of the execution, and the old handler
code is gone...
I think that the handler code function initializer
(lnp_*_set_handler) instead should be sure that handler functions
addresses are written with Interrupt disabled or a sort of. Is it
needed a sem_lnp_address too?

Have you found some evidence or examples of someone that could
change those handlers without causing some "logical" crash in the
program? I mean that this type of behavier is quite undesiderable
in a program doesn't it? I'm quite sure that if someone change
those handlers without passing from LNP_DUMMY_ADDRESSING (in a
sort of logical pause in processing LNP packets) could have some
other problems... We could check against it before assigning the
new handler...

What about a new version of:

lnp_integrity_set_handler(lnp_integrity_handler_t handler)
and
lnp_addressing_set_handler(unsigned char port,
lnp_addressing_handler_t handler)

that returns an error and do not change handlers if the handler
is not null?

BTW: In meantime I'll also modify:

lnp_integrity_state_t lnp_integrity_state;

in

volatile lnp_integrity_state_t lnp_integrity_state;

for correctness too... Any feedback?

Bye,
     Paolo.

---
"Is there something I can do for you, Captain?" - Spock