 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1585
Re: Firmdl3 updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:21:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Rossz Vámos-Wentworth <rossw@jps.net> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Luis Villa writes:
Actually, the kernel can hit 21-22K (depending on the compile-time
options.) My current legOS.srec sits at 21232 bytes. So, I'm going to do
the update.

Isn't the actual size of the kernal about half the .srec size?  That file
contains ascii codes for for hex bytes, a pair of characters would be one
byte.

Here's how to determine size given a .srec file:

1) Look at the last S1 line in the s-record file.  An example from
   firm0328.lgo:

   S113E1606F...

2) Look at characters 4-8 (start counting with 0):

   S113E1606F...
       ^^^^

   This is the starting address for this S1 line.

3) Look also at the value in characters 2-3:

   S113E1606F...
     ^^

   This is the length of the line (in pairs of hex digits) not including
   the S1 part but including a two-byte address and a one-byte checksum.

4) Add the two numbers and subtract 3:

   E160 + 13 - 3 = E170

   The resulting value is one more than the ending address of the firmware
   file once loaded.  It does not include the size of the bss data, which
   also consumes space.  (The bss data includes uninitialized global and
   static-local variables.)

6) Since the starting address is 8000, you know the size of the file.
   This one is E170 - 8000 = 6170h = 24944 bytes.

-Kekoa