 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1456
Re: asking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:12:17 GMT

Cromok-
In the future, direct emails to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos@lugnet.com.
Thanks :)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, cromok putera wrote:
I'm quite confuse with the following term in legOS.
I'm using legOS 0.2.4

1) kernel

legOS.srec is the file that contains the legOS kernel, which is the "core"
of the legOS operating system.

2) firmware

When using this, (at least in the HOWTO) it usually refers to the
"standard" firmware- i.e., the software that comes with the Mindstorms
kit.

3) Kernel=firmware?

The kernel is (roughly speaking) a replacement for the standard firmware,
and can be considered as a "new" firmware.

4) .lx

.lx is the extension for legOS executable files. .lx files are downloaded
to the robot /after/ the legOS kernel (#1) has been downloaded, and then
the legOS kernel executes those .lx files.

5) why we have to " make filename.lx " , why not
filename.c

Because that is how the Makefile is set up. Not an important difference-
you are making the .c file either way.

6) gcc

The Gnu C Compiler, used to build the .c files.

7) gnu

GNU = GNU is Not Unix. Not really important, but you can find out more at
www.gnu.org. Basically, for our purposes the important part is that
software written by the GNU project is free- totally, 100%, completely,
free.

8) binutils

A set of tools that works with GCC.

9) .srec  ( legos.srec)

.srec is short for s-record, which is the "native" file format for the
hitachi chip that powers the Mindstorm.

10)I just read documentation on HOWTO by Luis.
   In the first part chapter 1. About legOS

   It is written one of the benefits of legOS is
   * Multiple programs. You can now store up to 8
   programs on your RCX at once.

   How can I do that?

If you read further, you'll see that when you download programs using dll,
you can specify the program slot with -p. By default, programs are
downloaded to program slot zero. However, you can change that by doing dll
-p1 progname.lx, which will install progname.lx into the 1st program slot.
Change the number after -p to change the program slot.

Hope that helps- please read the documentation in more detail in the
future-
Luis

    "It's clear to us that Microsoft isn't the competition anymore.
                       They are our environment."
        WordPerfect manager, talking about Word