 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1437
Re: Memory Usage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 10:40:49 GMT

Well, I've gone and run out of memory with my RCX. It manifested • itself in
a task that refused to run, presumably because the OS couldn't • allocate
enough memory for its stack. Took a while to track down and was • annoying,
but it was my own fault for not checking error codes.

You can test memory left using the routine from Eddie:

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/?n=1129

Anyway, my question is, how can I reduce memory usage? I think cutting
down LegOS itself is pretty much a lost cause. Of the list in the • HOWTO,
sound is about the only optional item. I suppose I could try turning • that
off and seeing how much that saves. Is the size of .srec and .lx files • a
good indicator of how much space the respective programs will take up • in
the RCX? Is it possible to have gcc optimize for space? Is gcc smart
enough to throw away functions I don't use once the compilation • process is
complete? Lastly, how can I figure out approximately how much stack • space
a task will need? I have several tasks running, and most of them don't • use
much in the way of local variables or deep calling chains, so the • default
stack space is probably quite a waste for those.

LegOS is already optimized for space. You can save some bytes changing
config.h to exclude some features, but I think that the best place for
optimizing is your own program...

Bye,
     Paolo.

---
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."