 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1305
Re: rotation sensor thing solved
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:28:32 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, John A. Tamplin wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Luis Villa wrote:

OK, so I had forgotten that for whatever reason legOS rotation sensors are
very, very sensitive to dying batteries. I think that when underpowered,
they either don't generate an interrupt or the voltage on the interrupt is
too weak and the signal gets missed. So, new batteries and voila...
everything works fine. /me wipes brow :)

Actually, the sensors themselves don't generate an interrupt.  The interrupt
to read the sensors is from a timer, and it just cycles through the
sensors waiting to read the next one.  This may be related to the problem
Kekoa mentioned about legOS powering the active sensors less than the
official firmware.

Powering them more frequently but for a shorter time, you mean? Yes- I do
see your point. This will be something to keep track of when/if we mess
with the sensors in 0.2.x.

BTW, in hindsight, this should have been obvious- the reason that the
sensors weren't recording when I was moving (and were when I was
"processing") is probably because of the draw of the motors during
movement.

Luis

    "Summertime... and the living is easy...
    fish are jumping and the cotton is high...
    So hush, little baby, baby don't you cry."
-Ella