 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1165
1164  |  1166
Subject:
legOS 0.2.4 working under WinNT 4(SP5) and Win2K
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 05:30:21 GMT

First, many thanks to those who have worked so hard to make this happen.
And to those who kept trying to answer all of my questions while trying to
install the previous versions.  As the subject suggests, I've got legOS
working under both my Win NT 4.0 (SP5) an Win2K OS boot-ups.

The updated "LegOS 0.2.4 - Instructions for installing on NT/Win9x with
Cygwin" found at http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/windows/cygwin were a
great help.

However, I'd like to share some of what I found along the way to help those
who may have grabbed 0.2.4 as soon as it became available and to perhaps
give advice for some updates prior to full distribution.

Comments 1 - 6 all refer to the LegOS 0.2.4 for Win instructions:
1) Your links refer to "LegOS-pre0.2.4.tar.gz".  It is now
"LegOS-0.2.4.tar.gz".

2) When un-tarring the file, it creates the directory "legOS-0.2.4".  This
must be renamed to "legOS".

3) Under WinNT 4.0 I tried avoiding modification of the autoexec.bat file
and just using the modification to /LegOS/Makefile.common described in Step
4.  It didn't work.  I had to enter it into the autoexec.bat PATH.

4) In \legOS\Makefile.common, you have an automatic OS detection function to
determine which setting will be used for TOOLPREFIX.  In Win2K, it did not
work.  I had to specifically comment out the Linux line setting.

5) In Step 7, I was unable to find the command firmdl3, firmdl3.exe, dll, or
dll.exe when using Cygwin.  I had to upload the firmware and the .lx file
using the Command Prompt in order for the system to find the commands.
Suggest mentioning this.

6) Also in Step 7, when using "firmdl3 ../boot/legos.rec" I received the
following error:
  firmdl3: no response from rcx
I had to use the firmdl3 -s option to use the slower speed.  Suggest
mentioning this in the instructions.

Comments 7 - 8 are against the \legOS\README file:
7)  Mention is made to add \legOS\util to the system PATH.  Suggest this be
placed in the instructions so the user need only go there once.

8)  The user is told to compile the .c program with "make myproject.lx &&
dll myproject.lx".  Running this from either Cygwin or Command Prompt
resulted in an error.  The .lx was created but it choked on the &&.
It worked fine when the command was split into 2 - "make myproject.lx" and
then "dll myproject.lx"

All are minor but may help the next newbie who comes along.

Thanks again,

-- Gary Mayer