 Robotics / RCX / Java / 5
Re: JVM and spirit.ocx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 19:27:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Geoff Sim writes:
Todd.

Has anyone done much on this subject?

I am looking at writing a class library to communicate/program the RCX from
Java and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I have seen some work on the net, but nothing definitive...

Geoff

Hi,

I am currently working on a Java API for the RCX based on LEGO's firmware. It
is basically a model of the RCX with LEGO's firmware, that is, the instruction
set described by Kekoa Proudfoot in his RCX Internals.
The basics (instruction modelling and communications) are pretty much in place,
so right now I am extending it with the following:
1) User guide
2) A simple assembler (text based RCX code)
3) A Swing based development environment
I am also planning to make several compilers on top of this and tools for
integrating Java programs running on the PC with programs running on the RCX.

The major assumption behind this API/toolbox is that the RCX is not powerful
enough in itself to achieve fairly complex behavior and decision making - and
so, it should be backed up by a bigger computer.

So, when will I release it? Hmm. I guess a beta will be out in late december or
something like that, but no promises.

Søren Bak