 Robotics / RCX / Java / 360
Re: communication with USB on Linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:21:27 GMT

Hi Huub,

"Huub van Niekerk" <v.niekerk@freeler.nl> writes:

For some time I've been trying to get bi-directional communication using:
- Slackware Linux 10.0
- leJOS 2.1.0
- USB IR-tower
- RCX 2.0

So far I've managed to upload leJOS and the written software to the RCX.
However, when I try to run the software, I get this message: "no irtower in
java.library.path". I've set the classpath to the directories involved with
Java, leJOS.

have you run make?

Can somebody please tell me if it is anyway possible to get a bidirectional
communication between my pc running Slackware and an USB IR-tower?

You can also get it working with the CVS version of Lejos
and a Linux kernel >= 2.6.7, which includes the newest driver.

To get and install Lejos from CVS do

$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/lejos login
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/lejos co -P lejos
$ cd lejos
$ make

The driver module should be loaded:
$ lsmod | grep lego
legousbtower           15360  0

There should be a device node for the USB tower
(if you have udev this will be created when you plug in the tower):
$ ls -l /dev/usb/legousbtower*
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 180, 160 2005-02-12 21:39 /dev/usb/legousbtower0

Set RCXTTY to /dev/usb/legousbtower0

You should now be able to use it,
use lejosjc, lejoslink, lejosdl and firmdl from the bin directory.
(some options may have changed).

Since you want to do communication, take a look at examples/comms
(the Makefiles need also some updating).

Hope this helps

Jürgen

--
NO to the planned nodding through of the EU software patent directive!

Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/
gnupg key fingerprint = 2767 CA3C 5680 58BA 9A91  23D9 BED6 9A7A AF9E 68B4