 Robotics / RCX / Java / 34
Re: [tinyvm-discussion] Fwd: Getting lejos running -- anyone advise?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:42:38 GMT

--- Andy Gombos <gombos_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
I saw this on the lego-robotics list, and am
forwarding it here.
Note: forwarded message attached.

ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822
From: Simon Brooke <simon@jasmine.org.uk>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Subject: Getting lejos running -- anyone advise?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:46:24 +0000

I'm trying to get lejos running on my RCX, and
having difficulty. I've
downloaded lejos 1.0.0 beta 3 from
<URL:http://lejos.sourceforge.net/>, and
followed the instructions from the README exactly,
but I get no joy.

I can do lejosfirmdl, and this seems to complete OK,
either with or without
the -f flag:

bash-2.03$ lejosfirmdl -f
Use --help for options.
Transferring "Fast Download Image" to RCX...
100%
Transferring

"/home/simon/notes/projects/lego/lejos_1_0_0beta3/bin/../bin/lejos.srec"
RCX...
100%

After dowloading firmware I get a number between
0085 0 and 0080 0 on the
display which I presume is my battery level.

However when I try to send the 'View' example or the
'HelloWorld example, I
get the following, consistently:

bash-2.03$ lejos View
transfer data: RCX says there's an error.
lejosrun: returned status 1.

If I try it again I get

bash-2.03$ lejos View
lejosrun: returned status 1.
Unexpected response from RCX. The RCX either doesn't
have valid leJOS
firmware or it is not in program-download mode.
(lejosfirmdl downloads
firmware).

and the display shows 0001 0

I've also tried lejos -o View.bin View.java followed
by lejosrun View.bin.
The compilation of the binary worked fine, the
download to the RCX failed
with the same error.

My RCX is a 1.0, serial number 039267; it has
previously run nqc 1.3 and
legos 0.1.4, 0.1.7 and 0.2.3, all successfully. I'm
running Debian potato on
a Linux 2.2.17 kernel; my JDK is Sun JDK 1.2.2. Any
ideas what I should try?

Cheers

Simon

It's unusual for lejosfirmdl to be working better
than the program downloader :)

Anyway, turn the RCX off and on again, then try
different ranges. You might want to change the
range in the IR tower. Newer batteries might also
help. Turn the RCX off and on whenever there's
a program download error.

--Jose