 Robotics / RCX / Java / 336
    train control —Daniel Carvalho
   hi I want to use rcx to control a lego train, but the fact that lejos only have 7 levels makes it dificult to set the speed. Jürgen Stube wrote in september2001: "Yes, the standard LEGO routines make it very hard to control speed. Basically with an (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jun-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

        Re: train control —Mark Bellis
     (...) There is a fundamental difference between the RCX and a Lego Train controller - the controller uses smooth power from a 3-pin regulator, with the voltage varied using a chain of resistors. The RCX uses PWM power with approximately 166ms square (...) (20 years ago, 3-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

         Re: train control —Daniel Carvalho
     Daniel: >> I want to use rcx to control a lego train, but the fact that lejos only >> have 7 levels makes it dificult to set the speed. > > Mark Bellis wrote: > > I think at the very least you need to smooth the power output of the RCX in > order to (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

         Re: train control —Mark Bellis
     (...) The simple answer is "maybe"! If you have one handy, try it. I'm not sure whether the RCX will cope with a capacitive load rather than an inductive one, so I would advise you not to put the capacitor across the RCX output without a motor in (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

        Re: train control —Juergen Stuber
   Hi Daniel, (...) sorry to reply so late, I wanted to try it myself but didn't get around to do it yet (I'm starting an IT-Business as a consultant/systems programmer, see (URL) managed to run a train from an RCX with the standard power levels using (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

        Re: train control —Daniel Carvalho
   (...) hi Juergen I tried it with load, and it works much better! Only that the speed is not very stable in the curves. (...) If i use a cycle of 10ms, then i could only use 10 different speeds, because the Thread.sleep has a resolution of 1ms... (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

        Re: train control —Juergen Stuber
   Hi Daniel, (...) you can do more levels by something like the Bresenham algorithm, i.e. for speed 4.5 you turn it on for 4ms and 5ms of the 10ms alternatively. Though 10 levels should normally suffice, the standard LEGO train controller has fewer (...) (20 years ago, 9-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)