 Robotics / RCX / Java / 338
Re: train control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:09:49 GMT

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Carvalho <danielpc@isutc.transcom.co.mz> writes:

I want to use rcx to control a lego train, but the fact that
lejos only have 7 levels makes it dificult to set the speed.

Jürgen Stube wrote in september2001:

"Yes, the standard LEGO routines make it very hard to control
speed.  Basically with an 8ms cycle they set the motor output
part of the time (depending on power level) to full voltage,
and the rest they let it float."

i've made a java program to imitate this, using a 20 ms
cycle, but the result is not satisfying. It's not so smooth
as when the train is controlled with the Electric Train
Speed Regulator (#4548).

sorry to reply so late, I wanted to try it myself but didn't
get around to do it yet (I'm starting an IT-Business as a
consultant/systems programmer, see http://www.jstuber.net/).

I managed to run a train from an RCX with the standard power levels
using the view example, and that was quite nice with the metroliner
train, I could regulate from standstill to full speed.
If you just have a motor without load it will probably not so nice
and runs always at almost full speed.

Or is it a problem with my code (see at end of message)?

What you are doing is to switch the power level quickly,
so effectively you get less power and with bigger gaps
in between.

To really slow down a motor without load you should alternate
between on and stop, and to make it smooth I'd try to stay below
10ms for a full cycle (the cycle time of the ROM code is 8ms).

Hope this helps

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/

Please always send email only as plain text, not as HTML.
Bitte schicken sie Email nur als reinen Text, nicht als HTML.