 Robotics / RCX / Java / 293
Re: RCX Communications problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:26:50 GMT

Gabriel Puma wrote:
Hi everyone,

I did take a look at LNP, but I need to be sure that the RCX received the
packet. As far as I Know, LNP is an UDP kind of communication. LLC is more
reliable way to communicate as it uses ACK. • the LNP class also uses LLC, it just doesn't implement receiveAck().

I’m thinking know in recompile the RCXPort class and try to get the name of the
robot into the protocol somehow but I’m not sure if this is the best way to do
it.
You could work ACKs into LNP (e.g. create a LNPReliableHandler), or you could add
multi-byte support into and put an addressing layer over LLCReliableHandler. The
choice is yours. To me it seems the LNP protocol already has the hard work done
(multi-byte payloads, addressing), whereas LLCReliable just sends one byte of
data, unaddressed. There's also an existing significant code base using LNP.
-Brian