 Robotics / RCX / Java / 279
Re: RCX Communications problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:10:02 GMT

What I would do is give each RCX an internal "name" -- an identifier. When you
send a message from the PC, the first part is the identifier. So if robot B gets
a message intended for robot A, it should ignore it. And vice versa.

The same thing would work for RCXs sending messages back (if you need to do
that). Have them tell the PC which one they are so the PC knows what to do with
the incoming data. It might also be a good idea for the PC to check if the
correct robot got the message using this method. That way it would know to
continue broadcasting until it got a response (due to line of sight issues, if
that's a problem).

This might involve writing your own protocol. Maybe you could extend one, since
you're using Java. I've personally never done something like this, because I own
but one RCX. But I've thought about this kind of problem before -- one day I
definitely will have multiple RCXs.