 Robotics / RCX / Java / 201
Re: Any substitute to the default lego serial cable!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:42:30 GMT

Hi! all,

Thanks for the replies, now I can use one null-modem cable with 2 DB-adapters to
construct the cable for the RCX communicatoin. But the cost is about US$5.5. If the
shipping fees to HK were not so high, I would perfer to buy the default lego through
web! Anyway, thanks for yours help! Now I can concentrate on the development of the
mindstorms robots on linux using leJOS! I'm a novice in this context, so many times
we will have to chat here!

Laurence

Paul Andrews wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Laurence K.W. Yip writes:
Hi! Paul,
|More, sorry for a stupid question but I'd like to ask is 'null modem cable' ?=

|'laplink cable', will their pin assignments be equal or not?
Is the pin assignment indicated in the RCX internal  universal or just
specified for lego serial tower?

Its a universal cable. Just about any null modem cable would do, but not all
cables are null modem.

Try using lejosfirmdl and see what it says.

|Finally, I'm interested in making the mindstorms robot as telerobot using
lejos
|on linux, I want to ask whether using IR serial tower is the only way to run
lejos on
|linux? (I hope this question won't make you get confused!)

That's right.