 Robotics / RCX / Java / 198
Re: Any substitute to the default lego serial cable!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:21:20 GMT

The cable is wired as a null modem cable (see
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/). If that's what you have, then it
should work.

A couple of other questions:

1. When you try to download the firmware does the green light on the tower
come on?
2. Have you set RCXTTY to the correct value (it defaults to COM1)?
3. What error does lejosfirmdl report?
4. What error doe sit report if you use the -v flag?
5. Are you using the -f flag? If so try it without that flag.
4. Have you put the battery in the tower?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but you never know ;-)

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Laurence K.W. Yip writes:
Hi, all!

I've just bought and got a IR serial tower from bricklink but I haven't
a default lego serial cable. Originally, I think ordinary RS-232 DB-9F
to DB-9F cable can be used instead, but I fail to do the firmware
downloading under Win98 RIS UI interface. Can anyone tell me is  it
necessary to use the default LEGO serial cable without any
substitiution?

Rgds,

Laurence