 Robotics / RCX / Java / 137
Re: Proximity sensor ( Was: Re: 8 power levels, and only 8?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 21:34:43 GMT

Well. Sixth time lucky maybe. I was trying to say this (it is part of leJOS
1.0.3.beta2):

package josx.platform.rcx;

/**
* A 'sensor' to detect object proximity. Sends a short
* message out of the infra-red port every so often and looks for
* the reflection using the light sensor (which happens to be
* very infra-red sensitive).
*
* @author Paul Andrews
*/
public class ProximitySensor implements SensorListener {
    static final byte[] data = { -1 };
    Sensor sensor;
    int threshhold;

    /**
     * Constructor. Threshhold defaults to 15.
     * @param sensor the sensor to which the light detector is connected.
     * the constructor will initialize the sensor and set up the infrared
     * transmitter.
     */
    public ProximitySensor(Sensor sensor) {
        this(sensor, 15);
    }

    /**
     * Constructor.
     * @param sensor the sensor to which the light detector is connected.
     * the constructor will initialize the sensor and set up the infrared
     * transmitter.
     * @param threshhold the bigger the number the closer we get.
     */
    public ProximitySensor(Sensor sensor, int threshhold) {
        this.sensor = sensor;
        sensor.setTypeAndMode(SensorConstants.SENSOR_TYPE_LIGHT,
SensorConstants.SENSOR_MODE_PCT);
        sensor.activate();
        Serial.setRangeLong();
        this.threshhold = threshhold;
        sensor.addSensorListener(this);
        new Emitter().start();
    }

    /**
     * Block the current thread until a near object is detected.
     * A user could simply do their own sensor.wait() as that is
     * all this method does.
     *
     * @param millis wait at most millis milliseconds. 0 means wait forever
     * @throws InterruptedException if some thread calls interrupt() on the
     * calling thread.
     */
    public void waitTillNear(long millis) throws InterruptedException
    {
        synchronized (sensor) {
            sensor.wait(millis);
        }
    }

    /**
     * Called from a thread private to sensor that runs at MAX_PRIORITY
     * If newValue > oldValue by more than the threshhold, notify anything
     * wait()ing on the sensor.
     */
    public void stateChanged(Sensor sensor, int oldValue, int newValue) {
        if (newValue - oldValue > threshhold)
            synchronized(sensor) {
                sensor.notifyAll();
            }
    }

    /**
     * A thread to continuously send out infrared pulses. Each
     * pulse lasts about 40ms and the thread waits for 100ms between
     * pulses. Thread runs at MAX_PRIORITY to guarantee that it runs.
     */
    class Emitter extends Thread
    {
        public Emitter()
        {
            setDaemon(true);
            setPriority(Thread.MAX_PRIORITY);
        }

        public void run()
        {
            while (true)
            {
                Serial.sendPacket(data, 0, 1);
                try {
                    sleep(100);
                } catch (InterruptedException ie) {
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

"Martin Egholm Nielsen" <martin@egholm-nielsen.dk> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Martin Egholm Nielsen writes:
Thats right Paul, but what are you saying? :o)

Regards,
Martin

Hi Paul,

Here is an interesting paper on using NQC to control motor speed. A • similar
technique could be used in leJOS:

http://www.cs.ruu.nl/people/markov/lego/tutorial.pdf

This paper has lots of interesing ideas in it besides motor speed • control.
My favourite being the proximity sensor which I have remodelled in • leJOS and
which continues to amaze me that it works at all.
Hmmm... can you please post your code for that? I tried it
this weekend (I found it here:
http://www.mop.no/~simen/legoproxi.htm), but I couldn't
quite get it to work.
Did you activate the sensor?