 Robotics / RCX / Java / 121
Re: 8 power levels, and only 8?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:42:11 GMT

Martin Egholm Nielsen <martin@egholm-nielsen.dk> writes:

Inspired by the answer by Juergen Stuber in the lejos/legos
thread, I suddenly began to think about the fact that "we"
only have eight power levels to choose among.
Why is that?

This is what the ROM routines support.

And can it be changed?

Yes, but then we'd need our own motor control routines
in the lejos VM, and that would cost some precious memory.

When programming my bot for the W3D, I stumbled quite some
times because of these.

Yes, the standard LEGO routines make it very hard to control
speed.  Basically with an 8ms cycle they set the motor output
part of the time (depending on power level) to full voltage,
and the rest they let it float.

I think it would control the speed much better if they would
brake instead of float, but I'm not 100% sure that this is
safe for the motors and motor controllers.

I think for a start it would already be nice to be able to
synchronize on those 8ms motor cycles, to get more precise
motor control in Java.  But I didn't yet get around to analyze
how the motor control routines work, it is quite complicated.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/