 Robotics / RCX / 91
Re: Decoding the LEGO IR remote control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 07:17:01 GMT

Nick Taylor  <ntaylor@iname.com> wrote:
Dennis,
Dave Baum just posted the remote control codes ... they are below:
- Nick -

Dave Baum wrote:
[snip]
The remote control always sends the same sort of packet:

d2 xx yy

where xxyy is a sixteen bit bit-field indicating what features should be
activated:

xxyy
0001 Message 1
0002 Message 2
0004 Message 3
0008 Motor A Forward
0010 Motor B Forward
0020 Motor C Forward
0040 Motor A Backward
0080 Motor B Backward
0100 Motor C Backward
0200 Run Program 1
0400 Run Program 2
0800 Run Program 3
1000 Run Program 4
2000 Run Program 5
4000 Stop Program
8000 Beep

These can be ORed together.  I don't know if all combinations are legal,
but you can certainly combine the motor options together.

The remote sends multiple copies of the packet while the button is held
down, then sends a d20000 when the button is released.

Unfortunately, I think these codes are ignored when encountered within a
program.  I tried the one to run program 5 from within an NQC program:

asm { 0xd2, 0x20, 0x00 };

It had no effect.

Dave Baum

Ah, so the infamous d2 opcode is finally fully explained.  What the d2
opcode did was discovered a while back when the firmware was disassembled,
but people could only guess as to why Lego put such an opcode into the RCX.
It was never connected to the remote control device, since that device did
not exist at the time.  Interesting.

Dave's spec of the opcode is partially complete.  More information about is
can be found at http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/#Rom, search downward
for 9700 - d2 opcode handler.  If I did the job right when I decoded the
firmware, then only the motor bits can be ORed together.  Everything else
must be appear by itself.

-Kekoa