 Robotics / RCX / 88
Re: Decoding the LEGO IR remote control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:28:59 GMT

Nick Taylor  <ntaylor@iname.com> wrote:
In light of the underwhelming lack of response to my LEGO IR post,
maybe I need to clarify a little:

The RCX tower and the LEGO remote control (#9738) both transmit a
38kHz carrier which is modulated at a 2400bps rate.  The encoding
is 8 data bits, odd parity, 1 stop bit, noninverted.  I've also
found Kekoa's RCX opcodes page.

What I would like is help in using a PIC (or a Stamp) to decode the
output of an IR receiver that is receiving opcodes from the LEGO
controller.  Lacking that, pointers to using a PIC for decoding TV
IR remotes would help.

Do you want to connect the PIC to the IR tower to receive signals from the
Lego remote control, or do you want to build your own IR receiver, and
attach the PIC to that?

The encoding of the IR is pretty simple.  The IR tower contains a circuit
that receives modulated IR on one side and dumps a standard serial signal
out the other.  The PIC presumably can process standard serial signals?
There might be voltage issues depending on how you do things, but mostly
this seems like a circuit design problem, and depending on what you plan to
have involved besides the PIC, you may have more or less work to do.  But
what you want to do is still unclear, sadly :(

-Kekoa