 Robotics / RCX / 842
Re: Batteries...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:37:29 GMT

Yes, it's possible.

You get less voltage with NiCads, so the motors don't turn as fast as they
do with brand-new alkalines.  Plus they don't last as long.  However,
they're so much cheaper to run!

I used to use NiCads during development and general messing around, and then
switch to alkalines when it's "critical", like when you're trying to impress
someone with your new invention.

Now I use the NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries.  They have more voltage
and last longer, and have no memory effect like NiCads.  The only drawback
is that they are pretty expensive.

Now that I've built up a sufficient stockpile of NiMH cells I don't use
alkalines at all.

I haven't tried rechargeable alkalines yet.  Benefits include higher power
and run time and cheaper batteries, but (I understand) they can't be reused
as many times as the other types of rechargeables.

I don't know why your RCX went mad - perhaps you had a bad battery or one of
them was in backwards or something.  It really does work, honest.

Good luck,

Doug

"Ciaran Jessup" <ciaran@redhotant.com> wrote in message
Quick questo, which no doubt has been answered time and time again, is it
possible to use rechargable
batteries in the RCX1.5 ? As I tried and it turned on, went mad then • turned
off again, so I didn't bother again, but I just read a message where • someone
was using NiCd batteries.

If this message has een answered many times, please just send me an email
rather than filling up the group :)

thanks greatly - Ciaran