 Robotics / RCX / 821
RE: RCX.pm questions [and Linux RCX GUI question]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 02:34:02 GMT

No, I don't, but thanks for the offer. I've actually never built a GUI in
anything except Java until today, but Glade (http://glade.pn.org/) makes
building a GTK gui ridiculously easy- it literally took about 30
minutes to go
from knowing absolutely nothing to having buttons that would control beep
output on the RCX. Of course, it isn't Tk, so it isn't quite
cross platform,
but that's what you get for running Windows ;)

Luis,

You might want to look at my rcxtcl package. It has all of the stuff you
need to
make messages for the RCX. Currently, the tcl code makes the messages for
uploading
firmware bytes to the RCX, but there is a routine that will take a bytecode
stream
and "RCXify" it by adding the complements and checksums.

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH/pbForthGUI.html>

Is where you'll find the Tcl archives for Windows and Linux. Yes, it works
and was tested on BOTH platforms. If only I could get a decent set of serial
drivers for the Mac...

If there is a real need, I can clean the source up, but it's actually
pretty good. You might want to help by providing some docs. :-)

Then you can add them to the legOS howto!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com