 Robotics / RCX / 600
Re: How do I delete firmware from firmware?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 16:55:04 GMT

Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:
I asked this question under a confusing subject that
people may have missed so I am asking again. How does
one delete firmware from firmware. I am looking for a
solution for pbforth but the question could have be asked
for LegOS or Quite C as well. If I get no answer I will
try gross things like zeroing the first 50 bytes of code,
turn off sll interrupts and then jumping to the h8-300 reset
vector. Some variation of this will probably work but I
wondered if there was an "official" way to do this. I notice
from the unofficial internals doc that there is an opcode
for this but no rom entry is listed for this function. Has
anyone looked at the rom to see what it does?

I think if you do a direct jump to 0x03ae, it will init memory
and essentially start the brick from scratch. At least that's
what I read from the internals doc...

This sounds correct.  In C, this is how I do it:

    /* Delete the firmware */
    *(char *)0xffcc = 1;
    (*(void (**)(void))0)();

Indeed, *(void (**)(void))0) is the reset vector, whose value is 0x03ae.
0xffcc is timer 0.  I forget what effect setting it to 1 has, but I seem to
remember that setting it to 1 gave nicer results than not doing that.  The
Lego firmware that came with the original RIS did this (but I don't know
about later firmware versions).

-Kekoa