 Robotics / RCX / 429
Re: Black
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 01:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Mike W. Burger writes:
Since I am currently working on line following, I did some tests
with the Lego active light sensor.  I mounted one on a small
test cart pointing down a bit more than 1/8 inch above the
"ground".

The 1.5 test pad reads

white 57
black 38
green 46

I went through a book of construction paper.  The results were
surprising.  This sensor sees a lot of things as white; reds,
yellows, oranges, greys, lavenders, browns all reading 55-56,
even 57.  The construction paper black was a disapointing 47.

Keep in mind that the light sensor generates a red light, so you're really
measuring the reflectivity of the target in the red part of the spectrum. Thus
red is as reflective as white (some of the other results, e.g lavendar, are
still pretty weird).

Regards,
Steve Hodge