 Robotics / RCX / 428
Re: Black
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:43:22 GMT

I attempted to do the "black vinyl between LED and sensor" modification that
Ralph
Hempel documents on his site, but I was unable to get the vinyl to slide
between the
LED and the sensor (too tight a fit).  So I used a small wire (toothpick
would do as
well) to apply a SMALL amount of testor's flat-black model paint on the side
of the LED facing the sensor.  The difference between black+white on the
test pad,
with 4 frosted 60W halogen bulbs on in the ceiling fan above and the sensor
positioned
about 1cm above the pad, is now white=45, black=12. A completely dark room
(except
the pen light to read the LCD on the RCX reads as under 10, the sensor
directed at the
aforementioned ceiling fan light reads 90+ from 1 foot away.

-Peter
"Mike W. Burger" <mike@hawaii.edu> wrote in message
Since I am currently working on line following, I did some tests
with the Lego active light sensor.  I mounted one on a small
test cart pointing down a bit more than 1/8 inch above the
"ground".

The 1.5 test pad reads

white 57
black 38
green 46

I went through a book of construction paper.  The results were
surprising.  This sensor sees a lot of things as white; reds,
yellows, oranges, greys, lavenders, browns all reading 55-56,
even 57.  The construction paper black was a disapointing 47.

The cheap newsprint pads from art stores were a nice surprise
at 56 so I tried various marks on those.  Magic marker nice
and heavily done goes down to 37 (black marker).  The black
crepe photo masking tape I had high hopes for came out at
38-39.  Black plastic tape was somewhat worse at 39-40.  Red
electrical tape was 56. This was all done with somewhat moderate
indoor light with the test sheet flat.  In high light the
glossy finish of things like the black plastic tape will catch
glare that might be a problem. Even the black crepe tape is
disappointingly glossy.

The best was india ink stroked on with one of the Speedball
steel brushes. If gone over several times, or stroked on the
back of the sheet as well, so the ink soaks through the paper
(I use a backing sheet as blotter), it can get down to 31-32
and very non-glossy.

That is a change from 56 as a rather steady white reading when
over the newsprint to a drop to 31-32 when over the black line
of india ink. A range of 24 and the best I have been able to do
so far, and quick and easy to impliment.  The big pad of 50 sheets
of newsprint was not expensive and you can get stub rolls at
newspapers that are many feet long.

So it looks like using the big newsprint sheets and marking them
either with magic marker (they make some with really big flat
tips) or with several passes of india ink with something easy
to use like a Steel Brush dip pen, is a really good way to make
your own line patterns for robot testing.