 Robotics / RCX / 2931
Re: Solved Virtual Memory problem! (was: I can't get the RCX 1.5 software to run on WinXP)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:42:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Tony Hafner wrote:
Okay, I got it working.

Here's the short version of the problem:
I installed the RCX 1.5 software on a WinXP machine with 1GB of memory.  The
installation went fine.  When I tried to run the program, it beeped and hung
with a blanked screen.  After using End Task to kill "probe.exe", I found an
error from "Director Player" that said I needed at least 3MB of virtual memory.
1GB is WAY more than 3MB, so that just doesn't make sense.

Solution:
It works when my "initial" VM setting is 3000 MB.  I'm not sure what issues I'm
likely to run into if my VM is forced to be a minimum of ~3X the machine's
physical memory, but it does let the Mindstorms software run.

Might be a 16bit/32bit problem (or similar 24/32bit), precisely 1GB (coded on 32
bits) could return 0 when truncated to 16 or 24 bits by old software. 3000MB
truncated to 16 or 24 bits might be OK.

Philo