 Robotics / RCX / 2863
Re: IR Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:22:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Elizabeth is quite right. It's easy to get collisions on the IR "bus" if
two devices are sending (or replying) simultaneously.

What I've done in the past with two RCXs is define one RCX as primary
that is periodically (every 100 to 250 milliseconds or so) sending a
message to the secondary device. The secondary device only sends
messages immediately after it has received a message from the primary.

The time between primary polling is chosen to be long enough to ensure
the primary message, and the optional secondary reply are both complete
before the next poll starts.

Thank you for the excellent information concerning communication with more than
one RCX. Last night in a dream I realized that I could just bypass communication
placing two push button sensors where needed driving the additional RCX. The
information is very much appreciated. Thanks, Tom, http://tomlohre.com/lego.htm