 Robotics / RCX / 2860
RE: IR Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 18:08:29 GMT

RCX IR does not require direct line of sight. All sorts of reflections
will work. Especially if you're in a "smallish" (bedroom, home office)
room.

The RCX firmware always has the IR turned off. "Wait for mail" and "send
mail" is just a higher layer of functionality implemented by Robolab.

So, if your 13 second cycle has the PC polling the RCX via direct
commands (e.g. get value of sensor 1) then it's quite possible both RCXs
will see and respond to this message. The two responses will be
simultaneously transmitted and will easily cause message corruption.

You can confirm whether the RCX 1.0 is receiving the PC messages by
watching the LCD and looking for the "marching dots" indicator that is a
sign there is IR traffic in progress.

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf
Of Tom Lohre
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 10:03 AM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: IR Problems

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Are you sure your problem isn't interference? How did you "lock out" • the
RCS 1.0 from receiving (and responding) to the direct commands? You • have
two RCXs turned on and sending direct commands from the PC. They will
both try to respond to the direct commands!

Thanks for your reply. I had to return the 1.0 RCX and motor back to
school
today. Those things are like gold. The 1.0 faces the 2.0 and is not in
direct
line of sight of the tower. The 1.0 is just to the side of the tower. I
think my
problem is that I did not include a "wait for mail" after the "send
mail" in the
program running on the 2.0. That would reinitialize the 2.0 to listen
which
would mean go back to listening for the next command from the tower.
The 2.0
tells the 1.0 when to act via mail. The tower sends data every 13
seconds to the
2.0. Tom http://tomlohre.com/lego.htm