 Robotics / RCX / 2850
Re: IR tower problems on a laptop with NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:52:21 GMT

The light goes on as soon as you plug in the tower? Sounds like someone is already using COM3.

I was looking around DELL technical support and you may have a bit of work ahead of you.

First off your serial port on the inspiron 8200 should be COM1. I would try running hyperterminal and see what it finds for ports.

Another thing that was mentioned often is disabling the IR. Maybe your computer has the IR and serial port confused. Or you could have some software that is trying to synch up through the com port. Has this laptop ever been used with a PDA?

My suggestion is to go to the Dell website and look at serial port problems for inspiron laptops. People complain about their technical support, but that is mostly just the phone support. Their tech support wizards and support database are excellent.