 Robotics / RCX / 2672
    lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —Elizabeth Mabrey
   Hi Just wonder if there is anyone who has attempted to have lego light sensor to distinguish more colors than just black & white. Blue is too close to black... white is too close to white... ---...--- -------- Elizabeth Mabrey (19 years ago, 27-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

        Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —Steve Hassenplug
     On Mon, June 27, 2005 2:07 pm, Elizabeth Mabrey said: (...) I built an M&M sorter that used a LEGO light sensor... (URL) worked out pretty well, because I could just dispose of any evidence of mis-sorting. As far as real results, I think it sorted (...) (19 years ago, 27-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

        Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —Ross Crawford
     (...) My guess is you would have to use colour filters to get reasonable results. I did toy with that idea for doing a colour photocopier once, but haven't got around to actually testing it yet. The downside is a 3-colour scanner would either use 3 (...) (19 years ago, 27-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

         Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —Brian Davis
     (...) How about one sensor with a color wheel the RCX can drive (this is how just about all NASA spacecraft take those beautiful pictures)? Another option that might work (read: I've not tested this at all) is using more than one color of light to (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

         Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —Steve Hassenplug
     On Tue, June 28, 2005 6:50 am, Brian Davis said: (...) That sounds like a really smart idea. At least, that's what I thought when Philo did it: (URL) he just said... (URL) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

         Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —Brian Davis
     (...) Dang. I just do not have enough on-line hours to discover how many times I can reinvent the wheel ;-). Thanks for the pointer, Steve, and Philo that is a nice piece of work! (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

        Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —danny staple
     (...) Alone - it is not very good. I have seen a custom sensor with three light sensitive elements and filters. you might be able to build a crude one with one light sensor, one motor(slowed down with worm gear or the micromotor), a wedge belt (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

        Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors —Philippe Hurbain
   (...) The problem is that LEGO light sensor is basically color blind, all you get is different reflectivity levels. Take care of dark shiny surfaces that can reflect as much as lighter ones (try to place the sensor at an angle to avoid direct (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)