 Robotics / RCX / 2675
Re: lego light sensor's capability of distinguishing colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:41:38 GMT

On 6/27/05, Elizabeth Mabrey <emabrey@storming-robots.com> wrote:
Hi
Just wonder if there is anyone who has attempted to have lego light sensor
to distinguish more colors than just black & white.  Blue is too close to
black... white is too close to white...

--------
Elizabeth Mabrey

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html;
            charset="us-ascii"

Alone - it is not very good. I have seen a custom sensor with three
light sensitive elements and filters. you might be able to build a
crude one with one light sensor, one motor(slowed down with worm gear
or the micromotor), a wedge belt wheel, and coloured 1x1 round bricks
as filters pressed into the wheel.

I have in my head (I am going to attempt to build it after we have
moved) an interesting mechanism with a Ratchet, a lever
operating/pushing it round, a worm gear based mechanism to translate
motor rotation to a pushing motion, and a clutch gear so it does not
seize up/burn out the motor. This would mean that one pulse on to the
motor would push the ratchet around by a known amount. You would also
either need to no a return puile on the motor, or stick an auto return
system on the mechanism (freeing up the other motor direction for some
other action) with the worm gear.

Orion
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots