 Robotics / RCX / 2604
RE: power levels clarification
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:19:07 GMT

Thank you very much for your clarification.

Any suggestion on reading material about PMW for high school kids.

--
Elizabeth

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
Thomas Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 9:41 PM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com; lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: power levels clarification

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, "Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com>
wrote:

Hi

I am curious how the power levels  are being implemented.   I am not • talking
about the icon level navigation.  How the motor actually adjusts to the
different levels setting?  Gear slipping?

PWM--Pulse Width Modulation.  Basically, during a cycle, power is turned on
and
off.  The lengh of time the power is on is the pulse width.  Longer pulse
widths
corispond to higher power levels.  This cycling is supposed to happens fast
enought that the motor "sees" an an "average" value.

If you stall a motor that is set to power level 1, you can feel it twitch as
the
power cycles.

Cheers,

Tom