 Robotics / RCX / 2603
Re: power levels clarification
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:40:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, "Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com> wrote:

Hi

I am curious how the power levels  are being implemented.   I am not talking
about the icon level navigation.  How the motor actually adjusts to the
different levels setting?  Gear slipping?

PWM--Pulse Width Modulation.  Basically, during a cycle, power is turned on and
off.  The lengh of time the power is on is the pulse width.  Longer pulse widths
corispond to higher power levels.  This cycling is supposed to happens fast
enought that the motor "sees" an an "average" value.

If you stall a motor that is set to power level 1, you can feel it twitch as the
power cycles.

Cheers,

Tom