 Robotics / RCX / 2462
Re: Gameboy RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:51:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Andy Mason wrote:
I think using your logic you should subtract the cost of the Gameboy,
because, hey, it's a gameboy.  I wouldn't mind having one.

That depends on the individual, both on how interested they'd be in owning one
(not everybody would be), and how willing they are to have it tied up in robotic
creations and unavailable for game play.  Of course, if you already have more
than one, that's not a problem (but if you can shuck out for multiple GBAs, the
cost of buying this whole kit shouldn't put you in sticker shock anyways).

Then the XRC is $269.

That still leaves you without IR capability, which will cost another $47 if you
don't already have the IR tower, or $16 if you do.  And you can buy a new RCX
for just $125 ($156 with the IR tower).  No, the price isn't very comparable,
but it sounds like this is like comparing the prices of a good sports car with a
custom-built Formula-1 racer.  One is designed for general use, and the other is
designed for all-out performance.