 Robotics / RCX / 2461
Re: Gameboy RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:57:58 GMT

Andy Mason wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, David Laswell wrote:

Oh, yes it does.  Quite a bit more, actually.  The original GBA still runs about
$70, I believe, or the GBA SP will hit you for $100.  $269 gets you both the XRC
and the basic no-frills Xport that connects it to the GBA ($338 will get you the
full-out package).  Now, if you want your LEGO IR tower ($31 from Pitsco) to
work with your XRC, you'll need the $16 XIR Sensor.  That's a whopping $386 for
the most basic option, or $485 if you want all the (current) bells and whistles.
You can get the RCX and IR Tower in the RIS, which costs only $200.  Granted,
you'll have less functionality, but you'll also be getting about $50 worth of
other LEGO and TECHNIC parts to work with (value based on the cost of buying
just the RCX and IR Tower from Pitsco).  That means that the XRC costs anywhere
from 2.5-3x as much as the RCX

I think using your logic you should subtract the cost of the Gameboy, because,
hey, it's a gameboy.  I wouldn't mind having one.

Then the XRC is $269.

Andy

And considering the RIS is still around £159 around here - then the $269
(working out at around £150) is  cheaper. Granted you would probably
already have a RIS - and would need the motors etc.

Anyway - would you go to the trouble of adapting the IR tower?
There is a bluetooth module for this (available in July) - buy a
bluetooth USB dongle and this would be a much better way of
communicating. One of the biggest advantages of the Cybermaster was that
it was not IR.

Danny