 Robotics / RCX / 246
Re: Where to begin ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:37:32 GMT

David Johnston wrote in message ...
Therefore I have one question for you all, which sets, kits, boxes, etc • would
you recommend to establish the necessary (and significant) quantity of • gears,
beams, plates, motors, etc. that I seemed destined to need to fulfill my
creative urges. Do please bear in mind that cost (as always) is an option • and
if you could give some rough idea of cost that would help significantly.

I agree with Arjen.  The Technic Space Shuttle is an excellent set.
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8480

If you cannot find it locally...
  LEGO S@H (1-800-453-4652) has it for $158 (shipping INCLUDED), or
  DYA-shopping in france has it for $149.83 + shipping
http://www.dya-shopping.com/uk/boutique/home2offre.html

It is rather pricey, but believe me it's worth it!
On smaller scale, here are some sets that I enjoyed, and makes excellent
part supplies.

#8250 - Search Sub - 376pcs - List $50, available from S@H for $25 !!!
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8250
There's a more expensive sibling of the same set with CD-ROM, but at $25, I
gladly gave up the CD.
This set comes with pneumatics complete with airtank.

#8414  - Mountain Rambler  - 244pcs - List $30, available at KB for $20
Available at your local KayBee toy or online at their site:
http://www.kb-kids.com/
Treads, shock absorbers, rack-pinion streering, and instructions for two
excellent models.

#8266 - Spyder Slayer - 363pcs - List $69.99, available at Toys R Us for
$49.99
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8266
This is a boring set, but it comes with the new motor, and 360+ technic
parts.
The motor alone is worth about $15.

#8277 - Giant Model Set - 546pcs - List $39.99, available at some local
stores
Excellent source of beams!

I do *NOT* recommend the two MindStorm add-ons.
Just compare either of the add-on where you get about 100 pieces for $50,
vs. #8277 where you get over 500 pieces for $40 !!!

Enjoy and share your adventures!
Hari Wiguna
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/mvunlim2/