 Robotics / RCX / 245
Re: Where to begin ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 15:54:13 GMT

Dave,

If you can still lay your hands on it, get the Technic Space Shuttle. I know
it's an older set, but I still see them in shops occasionally (in the
Netherlands). Price is around US$ 120.
It comes with lots of gears, beams, plates, axles, parts for a gear box (!)
and two motors (an old technic motor, less powerful but faster, and a micro
motor, about the size of two 2x2 bricks stacked on top of each other). Both
motors can be controlled by the RCX. It also includes a turn table and a
battery box for driving the motors without the RCX.
Building the thing also gave me a lot of inspiration for applications of
technic parts I wouldn't have thought of myself. I took it apart later for
the parts of course.....

Arjen

David Johnston wrote in message ...
Having recently purchased my RIS 1.5, faced the challenges within, perused
NQC, PbForth, and the Spirit OCX, I came to the following conclusion.

I have the skills to use the programming languages of my choice, I have the
RCX to control the robots I build, *but* I lack the significant quantity of
useable LEGO components to build any of the interesting robots which I can
envision.

Therefore I have one question for you all, which sets, kits, boxes, etc • would
you recommend to establish the necessary (and significant) quantity of • gears,
beams, plates, motors, etc. that I seemed destined to need to fulfill my
creative urges. Do please bear in mind that cost (as always) is an option • and
if you could give some rough idea of cost that would help significantly.

David Johnston

" ... the goal was to make things friendly and fairly intuitive, without
insulting your intelligence" - Kai Krause