 Robotics / RCX / 2422
Re: control RCX from PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:02:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Benjamin Sigonneau wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:52:45 GMT
"Chris Phillips" <drvegetable@attbi.com> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Benjamin Sigonneau wrote:
The PC will send "commands" to the RCX, and the RCX
will apply those orders ; examples are "move ahead" or "turn left".
The RCX program will be written in C using Kekoa Proudfoot's libRCX.

I think I should be ok with the RCX program. However, I still wonder
how to send the commands from the PC to the RCX through the serial
connection. The PCs are running under Windows 2000 and the
Mindstorms robots use the usb IR tower.

Does anybody :
    1. knows about a program that would do what I want, ie send a
    string
to the RCX throught the usb IR tower

I have a simple WIN32 console application (with C source code) that
opens the USB tower to listen for messages from the RCX.  You can
easily modify this program (using the WriteFile() API system function)
to talk to the RCX.

   http://www.drvegetable.com/download/samplecode/

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but it might get you started.

I just looked over it, and it seems very near to my needs. I may try to
modify it for writing to the USB tower. Thanks.

By the way, which C++ compiler do you use ?

I usually use the Microsoft C++ 6.0 compiler for my Windows programs, although
the code should compile with little/no modification in any Windows-compatible
C++ compiler.  (Both the Borland and the GNU/GCC compilers should be able to
rebuild this program as well.)

    2. what are the messages sent by the remote control tool from
BricxCC ?

I have documented the messages that are sent by the Mindstorms IR
remote control, which are probably the same ones used by BricxCC:

   http://www.drvegetable.com/irremote_protocol.html

That should be. I suppose those are the codes you use in your "Virtual
Remote" program. Am I right ? If so, it would be quite easy for me to
write a RCX program that waits for such messages and performs he right
actions.

Yes, the Virtual Remote program does use the same IR messages as the remote, and
as documented on that web page.

The disclaimer only talks about personal use. Would you allow me to use
your piece of software in classroom?

You are welcome to use my program in a classroom setting.  The purpose of the
license agreement for my freeware is to prevent them from being included in
shareware collections, etc., without my permission.  I would prefer that you
have students download the program from my web site rather than provide copies
to them directly, but I understand that this is not always practical.  And you
are certainly allowed to pre-install the program on multiple computers in your
classroom or robotics lab.  I should probably modify the text of my freeware
license to explicitly allow "non-commercial" and/or "educational" use.

Also, note that you may freely use, modify, and redistribute the code from the
sample MSGMON program without restriction.

Best of luck with your class, and please let us know how everything works out
for you!

- Chris.