 Robotics / RCX / 2419
Re: control RCX from PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:08:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Benjamin Sigonneau wrote:
Hi all,

I'm writing down some practical work for students that learn computer
science. The goal is to teach them how a serial communication works.

Therefore, we want them to write a program that listens to serial
communications. The PC will send "commands" to the RCX, and the RCX will
apply those orders ; examples are "move ahead" or "turn left". The RCX
program will be written in C using Kekoa Proudfoot's libRCX.

I think I should be ok with the RCX program. However, I still wonder how
to send the commands from the PC to the RCX through the serial
connection. The PCs are running under Windows 2000 and the Mindstorms
robots use the usb IR tower.

I once thought about using a tool such as the hyperterminal program from
embedded with Windows, but I don't think it should be able to deal with
the usb IR tower being a serial device. I also thought about BricxCC
with has a tool that looks like a remote control, but I don't know what
this tool sends to the RCX.

Does anybody :
    1. knows about a program that would do what I want, ie send a string
to the RCX throught the usb IR tower
    *or*
    2. what are the messages sent by the remote control tool from
BricxCC ?

Any suggestion welcome. Thank you in advance.

Here are a couple of websites that may help:

http://gorts_odyssey.home.att.net/lego_internet_control.htm
http://members.cox.net/pbrick-alpha/Phantom.htm

I got them from other members in response to my request for help with
communication via the USB port. My request was posted on the NQC site:

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/nqc/

Regards
DB