 Robotics / RCX / 223
Re: RCX motor voltage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:49:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Wes Matchett writes:

Mario Ferrari wrote:

Wes Matchett <wes@augustschell.com> wrote:
I've completed a syncro drive model to be RCX controlled and have • encountered an
unexpected barrier.  The model's drivetrain was tested using a battery box • (6
AAs) and works fine.  But when I try to drive it with the RCX it doesn't • have
enough power to move.  The batteries in the RCX are new - in fact, I moved • them
from the RCX to the battery box to verify they could do the job, and they • did.

Any ideas on getting more power from the RCX?

Yes, using a direct connection to a battery box your motors get more power.
I don't know if this idea is applicable to your model, but you could use one
motor attached to the RCX to drive the switch of the battery box, or even
better an external Lego switch (5120).

These solutions bring up problems of their own: using a motor to operate a
switch (battery box or Lego switch) requires monitoring the switch state to
determine on/off status.  Also, there will be a time delay while the motor
moves from one state to another.

I guess the best solution is to drive a relay with the output port.  By using
two relays I _think_ they can wired to connect a battery pack in a fwd/rev
manner.  I need to give this some more thought.

-Wes

I can think of two other possibilities:

The best approach is probably to add more gears so that the motors don't have
to work as hard to move the platform.  The platform will move more slowly, but
at least it will move at all.  (Hmm... That didn't really make much sense!)

The other possibility is that you might be able to squeeze more juice out of
the RCX if you use two motor outputs connected to the same motor.  Just be
very careful that both motor outputs are kept in the same state (on/off and
speed and direction) at all times, or it could be possible to dammage your RCX!

I'd go with gear reduction, myself.  Safer and more reliable.  Hey, even the
freshest of batteries will get pokey someday.