 Robotics / RCX / 2091
    Re: DCC for the RCX —James Powell
    (...) I don't install them either, and I have done something like 30 motors so far. (...) True, but ONLY if you are just going to use the RCX as a output. You can dial the voltage that DB100's (and most other Digitrax) boosters put out to a exact (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

        Re: DCC for the RCX —David Koudys
   (...) I'm no electronics engineer by any stretch-- A diode, iirc, allows DC current to 'flow thru' in only one direction. What would a diode do across the output on the top of the train motor? And why would one be good for 'inductive' loads such as (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

        Re: DCC for the RCX —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) The problem with inductive load is that when current is interrupted, they generate large voltage spikes with reverse polarity. The diode absorbs these spikes and avoids destroying the driver... Philo (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

        Re: DCC for the RCX —Esger Abbink
   (...) Sorry, my earlier post should have been more clear. I was just commenting on the fact that in general a resistor is _not_ a good way to reduce voltage to a train motor. And you recalled correctly: diode's are "one-way". Thats why you need to (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

        Re: DCC for the RCX —David Koudys
   In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Esger Abbink wrote: <snip> (...) Perfectly understood. Thanks! My problem has always been that I wanted to get into electronics, but all those resistors 'n such used to have all these coloured stipes to denote the different (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

        Re: DCC for the RCX —Esger Abbink
   (...) hmm, color codes and being color blind dont really match well indeed... as far as electronic components go, I'm just a hobbyist. My day job is programming ;) Esger (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)